Freestanding tub: 5 Things Nobody Tells You About
Despite its visual gorgeousness, a freestanding tub may bring you lots of stress when you decide to install it in your bathroom. Here are 5 unpleasant secrets about a freestanding bathtub you want to be aware of before you commit.
A classical clawfoot tub has a Victorian-styled, ball-and-claw design, but nowadays, any standalone bathtub may be referred as to clawfoot. It is not uncommon that a freestanding bathtub features no legs at all: you can find a sleek, posh model to be placed right on the floor, without any feet to support it. If you are tilting toward a freestanding tub for your bathroom remodel, bear in mind that such versions have some practical downsides.
Soap is no longer within reach
It requires complex plumbing
Cleaning may turn into a quest
Sloping floors bring extra hassle
Not the perfect option for shower-lovers
Pros and cons of a freestanding tub
Here is a quick roundup of positives and negatives about freestanding tubs to help you make a weighed choice:
Benefits of freestanding tubs:
- They render a sophisticated appeal to space, letting you wash away the day’s stress in style.
- They come in an insane variety of materials, designs, and finish options letting you pick the best variant for your particular bathroom.
- You are not locked in the placement options – a freestanding unit can be installed in any spot.
- If not placed too close to the wall, a clawfoot bathtub is very easy to clean and maintain, plus, unlike a built-in version, it does not require any caulking.
Downsides of freestanding tubs:
- They may require changes of plumbing and drainage lines as well as floor reinforcement, dramatically affecting the project’s price.
- They may be inconvenient for keeping washing essentials within easy reach.
- Legged tubs may be difficult to get in and out, which is a critical consideration for people with disabilities.
- Such models can be difficult to combine with a shower.
- Water is more likely to splash out from the tub, leaving floors and walls more exposed to moist damage.
If you are dreaming of getting an elegant, classy freestanding tub for your bathroom remodel project, it is in your best interests to hire a licensed, well-established contractor to get the job done as needed and save you from any unpleasant OOPS in the future.
Groysman Construction is a leading home remodeling company in San Diego, bringing both innovation and craftsmanship to the business to help homeowners achieve spaces of their dream.