Every time you scroll design-focused platforms searching for kitchen remodel solutions, you might be surprised by how efficient and useful kitchen islands can be.
Clutter on counters is a common problem. So, considering renovation most of us want to secure enough storage units to hide cooking utensils, food supplies, and rarely used glassware. The organized kitchen appears aesthetically pleasing and welcoming.
A well-thought-out island is an integral element of the entire kitchen area — it offers an additional meal prep surface, serves as a uniting spot for family meals, and can be used for storage. You can get the most of the island: a well-designed island storage system is a lifesaver. Open shelving, closed cabinets, glass units, pullouts, pull-downs, and built-in equipment — smart space-planning makes the kitchen fully functional and stylish.
What Kitchen Island Storage Options Are Trending in 2023?
Recent years are marked by close-to-nature and environment-centered solutions in the design industry. Natural colors, sustainable materials, and technologies lead the market. Fortunately, the trend of “eco-friendly efficiency” has come to stay. If sustainability is more relevant to supplies, materials, and equipment, the term “efficiency” is the evergreen line in kitchen design. The listed below storage options should facilitate the expansion of the island’s functionality.
Kitchen Island Storage Ideas
- Open shelving. They are suitable for storing almost everything you need, from grocery supplies in attractive glass jars (or styled tins) to kitchen utensils. Use open shelves to add personality to the kitchen: artisanal pots or potted herbs are fantastic decorative elements.
- Tableware storage. Rarely used tableware can be stored in a dedicated place within the island. Whenever you need to hide dishes, go for closed cabinets; for showing off some unique possessions, you can opt for open shelves or glass doors.
- Mini library. Order custom-made or built-in bookshelves to neatly arrange your favorite cookbooks. An installed bookshelf brings an authentic feel to the kitchen interior.
- Drawers and pullouts. Kitchen island drawers are multifunctional: shallow ones are ideal for keeping cutlery (spatulas, culinary brushes, or corkscrews), spice sets, placemats, and serviettes out-of-eyes and easily accessible; deeper drawers can be used for storing pots, pans, and suchlike.
- Built-in appliances. Integrating a microwave or wine cooler into the island seems very pragmatic as you keep appliances close at hand and secure more surface space for cooking. If you plan an island with a sink, it is reasonable to install a dishwasher because you can connect it to the same water supply line.
- Built-in wine rack. Are you a wine gourmet or a proud owner of an exotic wine collection? Plan a kitchen island with storage for your precious collectibles — a built-in wine rack can be a safe display and an additional decorative element for the interior. The integrated home bar adds luxury and an authentic feel to the space.
- Mix open shelves and closed cabinets. The combo of open shelves and drawers (or pullout units) might be very practical as it allows you to hide some items and demonstrate and keep easy access to some others.
How to Optimize Kitchen Island Storage?
It’s a common challenge to keep a kitchen spaceful and tidy. So, we all wish to get the most of the available space. Unfortunately, kitchen islands are often forgotten when it comes to storage. When planned wisely, kitchen island shelving and cabinetry can improve the kitchen’s functionality and make a statement via contrast texture or stylish details, such as metallic elements or accessories, adding to the overall aesthetics.
- Plan carefully. The best thing is to study and filter storage options while still planning the kitchen island’s design. You might have seen islands with open shelves or closed cabinets but there are many other multifunctional solutions. Try to figure out your main requirements: maybe you want the additional entertainment space (books, board games) or show off the exclusive wine collection (built-in wine rack), or you need additional storage for tableware.
- Use technologies. Contemporary technologies allow installing pullout add-ons, like a trolley or a roll-out pet bed for a family cat.
- Use cabinet organizers. There are various options available in the market: spice racks, pullout bins, and baskets. Organizers allow you to keep surfaces free of clutter and use every inch.
Whenever you need professional help with a kitchen renovation, the Groysman Construction team is just a call away. With over twenty years of experience in the industry, we have an extensive portfolio of kitchen remodel projects and many happy clients in San Diego County. Request a free quote, and soon you can enjoy your dream kitchen de facto.